Looking for a satisfying and keto-friendly breakfast or snack? Try these tasty Keto Egg Muffins! With only 5 grams of carbs per serving, they’ll fill you up without kicking you out of ketosis.
These muffins are part of my ketogenic meal plan. It’s an easy-to-follow keto meal plan that is optimized with the right macro ratios already calculated for you so that all you need to do is make your meals.
I’m a big fan of egg muffins. They’re basically mini, portable omelets, except there’s no need to worry about flipping the omelet at just the right time. All you have to do is load your ingredients into a greased muffin tin and pop them in the oven!
While most egg muffin recipes are fairly low in carbs, these keto egg muffins also pack in healthy fats like egg yolks, crumbled bacon, and shredded cheddar cheese to keep you satisfied and full until your next meal.
This recipe also includes nutritious, fiber-rich vegetables like cherry tomatoes, red onions, and mixed greens. The vegetables help give the muffins a fresh flavor and keep them feeling a bit lighter than egg muffins that contain only eggs and meat.
Even better, these low carb egg muffins couldn’t be easier to make. Simply combine the ingredients, pour into your muffin pan, and bake!
How to make keto egg muffins
This delicious, low-carb, high-fat dish comes together in just a few easy steps.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
Step 2: Separate the egg yolks from the whites and add the yolks to a large mixing bowl. Discard the egg whites or save them for another recipe.
Step 3: Wash and finely chop the mixed greens, tomatoes, and onion. Add to the egg yolk mixture.
Step 4: Add the bacon, cheese (minus 3 tbsp, set aside for later), unsweetened almond milk, and garlic salt to the bowl. Mix well.
Step 5: Grease the muffin pan with oil or add liners. Pour egg mixture evenly between the 6 muffin slots, about ¼ cup + 1 tbsp of batter per muffin.
Step 6: Pop the muffin pan into the oven for about 12 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown and toasty.
Step 7: Remove egg muffins from the oven and immediately sprinkle the tops with the reserved shredded cheddar cheese.
Step 8: Let cool for 2 minutes before serving.
There you have it! In less than 30 minutes, you’ll have a keto-friendly breakfast or snack ready to go.
This easy, delicious recipe will have you feeling so good, you may just want to start every day this way.
How many muffins are in one serving?
This recipe makes three servings, and each serving will give you two muffins.
In case you’re worried that two won’t be enough to fill you up, let me put your fears to rest! Each egg muffin contains a moderate amount of calories and plenty of fat – 37 grams per serving!
The high-fat ingredients in this recipe will do a great job of keeping you satisfied until your next meal, while the flavor and crunch from the vegetables will help your brain register this as a well-rounded, complete meal.
How many carbs are in one serving?
Each muffin serving contains 5 grams of carbs and 1 gram of fiber. This means that you’ll get about 4 grams of net carbs per serving.
The low carb count make this breakfast a delicious, healthy way to start the day that won’t kick you out of ketosis! You’ll have energy for hours without any spike in blood sugar. Plus, you’re even sneaking in a few nutritious veggies.
Whether you’re enjoying these to start the day or as an afternoon snack, they’re a great option for anyone following a ketogenic lifestyle.
Switching up your ingredients
Looking to play around with different flavors in your egg muffins? Good news: there are tons of Keto-friendly ingredients that would be a great addition!
Instead of bacon, you could try using ground sausage for some added flavor. Just be sure to check the ingredients to make sure there aren’t any added fillers or sugar.
You could also play around with the cheese. Some shredded pepperjack would add a nice kick, or you could use blue cheese to really bring out a different flavor.
If you decide to try different vegetables, just be sure to calculate the macros to make sure you’re keeping the carb count low.
Tips for making this recipe
The beauty of these keto muffins is that they are so simple to prepare. However, I do have two quick tips to ensure the process is as smooth as possible!
- Of the 1⅕ cups of shredded cheese the recipe calls for, reserve about 3 tbsp. of cheese to sprinkle on top once the keto egg muffins have baked. This adds a burst of cheesiness that take the muffins to a whole other level.
- Instead of putting the batter directly in the muffin tin, you can use muffin cups to line the muffins to save time during clean up. They also look so cute in their little liners.
You can store your egg muffins in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
They reheat very well, so this recipe is a great option for prepping a keto-friendly breakfast or snack ahead of time!
You can also try freezing them for longer storage.
More keto-friendly breakfast ideas
Looking for a few more low-carb, high-fat recipes to start your day the right way? Here are some delicious keto-friendly breakfast recipes that will help you stay in ketosis:
For even more healthy low-carb breakfast recipes, be sure to check out my roundup of the best low-carb breakfast ideas for diabetics.
When you’ve tried this recipe, please don’t forget to let me know how you liked it and rate the recipe in the comments below!
Keto Egg Muffins
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 cup mixed greens chopped
- 4 cherry tomatoes diced
- ¼ cup red onion chopped
- ⅓ cup bacon approximately 4 slices, cooked and crumbled
- 1 ¼ cup cheddar cheese, shredded shredded
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk optional
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease the muffin pan with oil or add liners.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites and add the yolks to a large mixing bowl. Discard the egg whites or save them for another recipe.8 egg yolks
- Wash and finely chop the mixed greens, tomatoes, and onion. Add to the egg yolk mixture.1 cup mixed greens, 4 cherry tomatoes, ¼ cup red onion
- Add the crumbled bacon, cheese (reserve 3 tablespoons for later), unsweetened almond milk, and garlic salt to the bowl. Mix well.⅓ cup bacon, 1 ¼ cup cheddar cheese, shredded, 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk, ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- Pour the egg mixture evenly into 6 muffin cavities, approximately ¼ cup each.
- Pop the muffin pan into the oven for about 12 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown and toasty.
- Remove egg muffins from the oven and immediately sprinkle the tops with the reserved shredded cheddar cheese.
- Let cool for 2 minutes before serving.