This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure.
Looking for a satisfying and keto-friendly breakfast or snack? Try these tasty Keto Egg Muffins! With only 5 grams of carbs per serving, they’ll fill you up without kicking you out of ketosis.
These muffins are part of my ketogenic meal plan. It’s an easy-to-follow keto meal plan that is optimized with the right macro ratios already calculated for you so that all you need to do is make your meals.
Why you should make this recipe
I’m a big fan of egg muffins. They’re basically mini portable omelets, except there’s no need to worry about flipping them at just the right time. All you do is load your ingredients into a greased muffin tin and pop them in the oven!
While most egg muffin recipes are relatively low in carbs, these keto egg muffins also pack in healthy fats like egg yolks, crumbled bacon, and shredded cheddar cheese to keep you satisfied and full until your next meal.
This recipe also includes nutritious, fiber-rich vegetables like cherry tomatoes, red onions, and mixed greens. The vegetables help give the muffins a fresh flavor and keep them feeling lighter than egg muffins that contain only eggs and meat.
Even better, these low-carb egg muffins couldn’t be easier to make. Simply combine the ingredients, pour into your muffin pan, and bake!
These keto egg muffins couldn’t be easier! With only 7 common ingredients, you’ll be on your way to enjoying a nourishing breakfast in no time.
- Egg yolks: you’ll be needing egg yolks only, reserve the egg whites for another recipe that calls for egg whites like my Turkey Bacon Egg Muffins
- Bacon: cooked and chopped; you can use leftover bacon or cook 4 strips of bacon to make 1/3 cup of crumbled bacon for this recipe
- Cheddar cheese: shredded
- Unsweetened almond milk: optional but makes the egg muffins a little lighter
- Cherry tomatoes
- Red onion
- Mixed greens: baby spinach or kale works too
- Garlic salt
This delicious, low-carb, high-fat dish comes together in just a few easy steps.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease the muffin pan with oil or add liners.
Step 2: Separate the egg yolks from the whites and add the yolks to a large mixing bowl. Discard the egg whites or save them for another recipe.
Step 3: Wash and finely chop the mixed greens, tomatoes, and onion. Add to the egg yolk mixture.
Step 4: Add the bacon, cheese (reserve 3 tablespoons for later), unsweetened almond milk, and garlic salt to the bowl. Mix well.
Step 5: Pour egg mixture evenly between the 6 muffin slots, about ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon of batter per muffin.
Step 6: Pop the muffin pan into the oven for about 12 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown and toasty.
Step 7: Remove egg muffins from the oven and immediately sprinkle the tops with the reserved shredded cheddar cheese.
Step 8: Let cool for 2 minutes before serving.
There you have it! In less than 30 minutes, you’ll have a keto-friendly breakfast or snack ready to go.
This easy, delicious recipe will have you feeling so good, you may just want to start every day this way.
The beauty of these egg yolk muffins is that they are so simple to prepare. However, I do have two quick tips to ensure the process is as smooth as possible!
- Of the 1-¼ cups of shredded cheese the recipe calls for, reserve about 3 tablespoons to sprinkle on top once the egg muffins have been baked. This adds a burst of cheesiness that take the muffins to a whole other level.
- Instead of putting the batter directly in the muffin tin, you can use muffin cups to line the muffins to save time during cleanup. They also look so cute in their little liners.
Looking to play around with different flavors in your egg muffins? Good news: there are tons of keto-friendly ingredients that would be a great addition!
Instead of bacon, you could try using ground sausage for some added flavor. Just be sure to check the ingredients to make sure there aren’t any added fillers or sugar.
You could also play around with the cheese. Some shredded pepper jack cheese would add a nice kick, or you could use blue cheese to really bring out a different flavor.
If you decide to try different vegetables, just calculate the macros to make sure you’re keeping the carb count low.
Keto egg muffins are a wonderfully balanced meal. The recipe as written makes three servings, and each serving will give you two muffins.
In case you’re worried that two won’t be enough to fill you up, let me put your fears to rest! Each egg muffin contains a moderate amount of calories and plenty of fat – 39 grams per serving!
The high-fat ingredients in this recipe will do a great job of keeping you satisfied until your next meal, while the flavor and crunch from the vegetables will help your brain register this as a well-rounded, complete meal.
Serve as is or with a small serving of low-carb fruit or seasonal berries. You can also enjoy it with a bit of sriracha or sour cream.
Storage and reheating
You can store your egg muffins in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. You can also freeze them for longer storage.
They reheat very well, so this recipe is a great option for prepping a keto-friendly breakfast or snack ahead of time!
To reheat, pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds or until warmed through. You can also reheat in a toaster oven for 6-8 minutes at 350˚F (176˚C).
A serving of two muffins contains 5.6 grams of net carbs, 23 grams of protein, and a whopping 39 grams of fat.
The low carb count makes this breakfast a delicious, healthy way to start the day that won’t kick you out of ketosis! You’ll have energy for hours without any spike in blood sugar. Plus, you’re even sneaking in a few nutritious veggies.
Whether you’re enjoying these to start the day or as an afternoon snack, they’re a great option for anyone following a ketogenic lifestyle.
Frequently Asked Questions
A serving of two keto egg yolk muffins comes in at only 6 grams of carbs and 0.4 grams of fiber, dropping net carbs to 5.4 grams.
These breakfast muffins are a great recipe to use up unwanted egg yolks. While egg whites are prized for their high protein, low-fat profile, egg yolks are equally nutritious. Make these keto muffins with 8 egg yolks and reserve the whites for another recipe.
The short answer is yes. Please note the nutritional value will change any time you substitute ingredients. Use a nutrition app like My Fitness Pal to reflect these changes. You may sub 4 whole eggs for 8 egg yolks.
More keto-friendly breakfast ideas
Looking for a few more low-carb, high-fat recipes to start your day the right way?
Here are some delicious keto-friendly breakfast recipes that will help you stay in ketosis:
For even more healthy low-carb breakfast recipes, be sure to check out my roundup of the best low-carb breakfast ideas for diabetics.
When you’ve tried this recipe, please don’t forget to let me know how you liked it and rate the recipe in the comments below!
Keto Egg Muffins
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 cup mixed greens , chopped
- 4 cherry tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- ⅓ cup bacon, approximately 4 slices, cooked and crumbled
- 1 ¼ cup cheddar cheese, shredded , shredded
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk, optional
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease the muffin pan with oil or add liners.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites and add the yolks to a large mixing bowl. Discard the egg whites or save them for another recipe.8 egg yolks
- Wash and finely chop the mixed greens, tomatoes, and onion. Add to the egg yolk mixture.1 cup mixed greens, 4 cherry tomatoes, ¼ cup red onion
- Add the crumbled bacon, cheese (reserve 3 tablespoons for later), unsweetened almond milk, and garlic salt to the bowl. Mix well.⅓ cup bacon, 1 ¼ cup cheddar cheese, shredded, 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk, ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- Pour the egg mixture evenly into 6 muffin cavities, approximately ¼ cup each.
- Pop the muffin pan into the oven for about 12 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown and toasty.
- Remove egg muffins from the oven and immediately sprinkle the tops with the reserved shredded cheddar cheese.
- Let cool for 2 minutes before serving.