Craving pizza without all the carbs? Try making a pizza frittata like this delicious chicken tikka masala frittata — no high-carb crust in sight!
One night, I found myself craving pizza. When I looked in the fridge, I found a jar of tikka masala, and an idea was born.
This is how I came up with my method for making pizza frittata! I made mine into a chicken tikka masala frittata, but with this simple process, you could choose any flavor combination you like.
Frittatas make a great brunch or a light Sunday night dinner. And something about calling it a pizza just makes it that much more enjoyable.
Learn more about the best pizza options for people with diabetes.
How to make chicken tikka masala pizza frittata
Ready to see how simple it is to whip up a delicious frittata-style pizza?
Step 1: Place an oven rack about 6 inches from heat and preheat the broiler.
Step 2: In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the pepper until well combined, then set aside.
Step 3: In an 8-inch ovenproof skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and peppers, then cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the vegetables have softened.
Step 4: Stir in the chicken, then pour in the eggs. Tilt the pan to distribute the eggs evenly.
Step 5: As the eggs begin to set on the bottom, use a spatula to lift the mixture and tilt the pan so the uncooked portion can flow underneath.
Step 6: When the eggs are about halfway cooked, sprinkle the mozzarella on top and spoon on the sauce. Remove from heat.
Step 7: Place the skillet in the oven and broil until the top is set, the eggs are cooked, and the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.
Step 8: Remove from the broiler and let the frittata sit for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
After that, you can cut the frittata into quarters (or slices, to go with our pizza theme) and dig in!
How to make your frittata with other flavors
No extra tikka masala sauce lying around? No problem! You can use the following technique with any combination of veggies, protein, cheese, and sauce:
- Sauté aromatic vegetables like onions, peppers, celery, and garlic in olive oil on the stovetop in an ovenproof skillet.
- Add protein like chicken, turkey pepperoni, or chickpeas.
- Add the beaten eggs and cook until they’re set on the bottom, then use a spatula to lift and allow the uncooked mixture to flow underneath.
- Top with cheese and sauce.
- Broil until the eggs cook through and the cheese melts.
With this method, you can try any flavor combination you like! You could go with customary pizza toppings like pepperoni and sausage, or go in a more exotic direction.
For Mexican-inspired flavor, try shredded chicken, salsa, and cheddar cheese. You could also do shredded chicken, salsa verde, and Mexican blend cheese. In either case, I would top with some avocado after the bake!
Turkey pepperoni, pasta sauce, and mozzarella is my go-to when I’m craving something traditional. For another classic (if not controversial) pizza combination, try using Canadian bacon, pineapple tidbits, pasta sauce, and mozzarella.
The point is to have some fun, so go ahead and get creative! No matter what, your frittata-style pizza is going to be delicious.
Frittata leftovers will keep very well. So if you aren’t able to finish this whole recipe, lucky you! You can enjoy it again later in the week!
Simply store the slices covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. You can enjoy the leftovers chilled, you can let them come to temperature, or you can gently rewarm them in the oven or microwave.
Other flavorful egg recipes
From frittatas to quiches to good-ole omelets, there’s no shortage of amazing dishes you can make with eggs. I like to eat them for all meals of the day!
Here are a few of my favorite egg recipes I know you’ll enjoy:
- Turkey Sausage Casserole with Veggie Tots
- Crustless Quiche with Italian Turkey Sausage and Peppers
- Poached Omelet
You can also check out my roundup of low-carb pizza recipes for more inspiration.
When you’ve tried this frittata, please don’t forget to let me know how you liked it and rate the recipe in the comments below!
Chicken Tikka Masala Frittata
- Place an oven rack about 6 inches from heat and preheat the broiler.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the pepper until well-combined, then set aside.6 large eggs, ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In an 8-inch ovenproof skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and peppers, then cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the vegetables have softened.1 tablespoon olive oil, ½ cup onion, ½ cup green bell pepper or banana pepper
- Stir in the chicken, then pour in the eggs. Tilt the pan to distribute the eggs evenly.5 ounces chicken breast
- As the eggs begin to set on the bottom, use a spatula to lift the mixture and tilt the pan so the uncooked portion can flow underneath.
- When the eggs are about halfway cooked, sprinkle the mozzarella on top and spoon on the sauce. Remove from heat.3 ounces shredded mozzarella, ½ cup tikka masala sauce
- Place the skillet in the oven and broil until the top is set, the eggs are cooked, and the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the broiler and let the frittata sit for at least 5 minutes before slicing.