Coconut Chicken Soup
The rich coconut aroma of this easy Coconut Chicken Soup will warm your belly and soul! Loaded with many different vegetables and lean chicken breast, this soup will keep you full and satisfied for a long time.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 1 lb. chicken breast, thinly sliced
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced into half moons
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into quarters lengthwise and diced
- 0.75 lb. pumpkin, cubed into ½ inch pieces (1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1 small chili or jalapeño pepper, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 14 oz. lite coconut milk (1 can)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Juice of 1 lime
- Handful cilantro leaves (optional)
Season the sliced chicken breast generously with salt and pepper.
In a large (5-6 quart) soup pot, heat the coconut oil over high heat and add the chicken breast. Stir-fry over high heat for 4-5 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink on the outside.
Add the sliced onion, minced garlic, and minced ginger and continue to stir-fry for another 2-3 minutes.
Add the diced zucchini and cubed pumpkin, and stir. Add the sliced bell pepper, sliced chili or jalapeño pepper, coconut milk, chicken broth, and lime juice. Stir everything together.
Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover, and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the pumpkin is fully cooked.
Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Garnish with cilantro leaves to serve.
Calories: 231kcal | Carbohydrates: 11.6g | Protein: 17.1g | Fat: 12.7g | Saturated Fat: 5.5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 3.7mg | Sodium: 1207.5mg | Potassium: 357.5mg | Fiber: 1.7g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 6195IU | Vitamin C: 65.2mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 0.9mg | Net carbs: 9.9g