I love to have something quick for busy days like these Peruvian Chicken Wraps. They can be made in less than 25 minutes! The best part is you can use leftovers to have a full meal ready in less than 5 minutes!
The first time I heard about Peruvian Chicken was from Michelle Tam and Henry Fong’s cookbook, Nom Nom Paleo. I made their Peruvian Roast Chicken and fell in love with these ethnic flavors!
Since I like to put my own twist on everything, I came up with my own signature Peruvian Marinade and slathered it on chicken breast, making this a simple and quick recipe. I have been making these Peruvian Chicken Wraps for nearly a year now and they are a family favorite!
How to make Peruvian Chicken Wraps
When making these wraps, I suggest you make the marinade, coat the chicken and set it aside while you are prepping the veggies for your wrap. Rinse your alfalfa sprouts, slice your cabbage and rinse your collard greens. Remove the thick rib from your collard green leaf so that it is easier to roll your wrap.
Next, you can start your cashew lime cream sauce. Just add all ingredients to the high-speed blender or food processor and blend on high until smooth and creamy! I use this cream sauce for all kinds of recipes! It is one of my favorites! Not only can you add it to your wrap, but you can use it as a dip for carrot sticks and cucumber slices.
Next, heat your pan to medium heat and sear your marinated Peruvian chicken. I use cast iron, which heats very quickly and browns nicely on each side. It takes about 3-4 minutes per side.
I have a secret trick to having moist chicken! Want to know? Once your chicken is cooked, place it in a Tupperware for 2-3 minutes to rest. This allows you to capture any flavorful juice from the chicken. Then I slice the chicken and place the slices back into the Tupperware with the flavorful juice and shake. Now your chicken is all coated with its flavorful juice!
To prepare your wrap, overlap two collard green leaves, top with cabbage, alfalfa sprouts, chicken, avocado and a drizzle of cashew lime cream sauce. Roll your wrap like a burrito and slice in half.
This is a light and refreshing lunch! Enjoy!
Peruvian Chicken Wraps
Ingredients for the Chicken
Ingredients for Cashew Lime Cream Sauce
- ½ cup (75 g) raw cashews
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 clove large garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
Vegetables for the wrap
- 10 Collard green leaves
- 1 ¼ cup (125 g) red cabbage
- 1 ¼ cup (45 g) alfalfa sprouts
- 1 avocado sliced into strips
Instructions for the chicken
- Add avocado oil, garlic, cumin, sea salt and lime zest to a large bowl. Whisk all ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Add chicken to the marinade and mix until the marinade coats the chicken completely. Set aside for 5 minutes. You can prep the veggies at this time.
- Heat skillet to medium heat. When the skillet is hot, add the marinated chicken and sear for 3-4 minutes or until cooked halfway. Flip and cook on the other side.
- Place in a Tupperware to allow the chicken to rest for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove chicken and place on a cutting board and slice into 1-inch (2.5 cm) strips. Place chicken back into Tupperware, secure the lid and shake to allow the juices to coat the chicken.
Instructions for the sauce:
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender or food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
Putting the wrap together
- Gently remove part of the rib from the collard green leaves so they are easier to roll without puncturing the leaf. Overlap 2 leaves.
- Spread cabbage, alfalfa sprouts, chicken and avocado along the center of the leaves. Top with cashew lime cream sauce.
- Roll leaves like a burrito and slice in the center.
- Serve with the remaining cashew lime sauce as dipping