This delicious, creamy chicken cordon bleu casserole is so simple to prepare that it makes for the perfect low-carb dinner recipe. You can also prepare the recipe ahead and freeze for added convenience.
From kitchen to table this recipe is ready in under 30 minutes and will be a smash hit with the entire family.
Because we don’t use breading, the recipe is also low-carb, keto, gluten-free, and definitely diabetes-friendly!
How to make chicken cordon bleu casserole
Step 1: In a large bowl, stir together melted butter, milk, cream cheese, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, parmesan cheese, and half of the shredded cheese (1 cup) until smooth.
Step 2: Fold in the shredded chicken and ham.
Step 3: Transfer the casserole mixture into a 9×13 in (23×33 cm) casserole dish and add the remaining shredded cheese.
Step 4: Bake for 10 minutes at 400F, until the cheese is melted, and the casserole is bubbly and golden. Garnish with fresh chives (optional).
Tips and tricks
It is best to cook the chicken right before you plan on making the Cordon Bleu casserole as the chicken can dry out if left for too long.
You can either roast or grill the chicken, leave it to rest for 10 minutes after cooking, and then chop up for the casserole.
You can easily change up the recipe by adding in some fresh herbs to the dijon sauce or add some crushed pork rinds to the top before baking for a crispy top.
Can the casserole be prepared ahead?
Yes! You can definitely prepare this entire meal a few days before and store in the refrigerator. You can also cover with plastic wrap and freeze for up to 4 weeks. This makes dinner as easy as turning on the oven!
To reheat from frozen, allow the casserole to thaw completely. Then bake as normal and dinner is served.
You might wonder how the creamy sauce holds up after it has been frozen. Since everything was mixed together, the dairy will have stabilized and is fine to freeze without worrying about it separating when reheating.
What to serve with this casserole
The cordon bleu casserole is a very hearty and rich main course so you can complement it with a salad or some simple vegetable side dishes. Steamed or roasted broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, carrots, or mushrooms work well.
Other healthy low-carb dinner recipes
If you liked this recipe, here are some other easy low-carb recipes you might enjoy:
You can also read this roundup I created of 10 healthy dinner recipes for diabetics for even more great low-carb dinner recipe ideas.
When you’ve made this low-carb chicken cordon bleu casserole, please don’t forget to let me know how you liked it and rate the recipe in the comments below!
Low-carb Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- 2 lbs. cooked chicken (chopped roughly)
- 6 oz ham
- 2½ oz butter (melted)
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 8 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheese of choice (Swiss or provolone cheese work well)
- 2 tablespoon Chopped chives for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a large bowl, stir together melted butter, milk, cream cheese, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, parmesan cheese, and half of the shredded cheese (1 cup) until smooth.
- Fold in the chopped chicken and ham.
- Transfer the casserole mixture into a 9×13 inch casserole dish and add the remaining shredded cheese on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted, and the casserole is bubbly and golden. Garnish with fresh chives and serve.