Breakfast should be easy to make and taste great! This keto egg bake is perfect for the whole family to enjoy while being healthy and wholesome too!
Having a go-to breakfast recipe is so important! It becomes your recipe to lean on when time is short and everyone needs to eat something healthy in the morning.
This recipe is just that for you. It’s packed with flavor and ready in just under an hour. Most of that time is spent baking in the oven so it is a relatively hands-off recipe too.
Even better, you can make it the day before (or several days before) and just reheat it in the morning so you have breakfast ready in a few minutes.
You can completely customize this high-protein egg bake recipe to your taste. Feel free to add in your own veggies and cooked meats for even more flavor!
How to make a keto egg bake
This is a no-fuss recipe that bakes in the oven for a while, leaving you to make the rest of the meal and get everyone ready for the day ahead.
Step 1: Add the olive oil to a pan over medium heat. Once the oil has heated, add the onion, garlic, and spinach and cook for 5 minutes until the spinach has reduced. Set aside.
Step 2: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, and salt and pepper. Stir in the shredded mozzarella and feta cheese. Leave aside some of the cheese to sprinkle on top.
Step 3: Add the cooked spinach and egg mixture to an 8×8 inch (20×20 cm) casserole dish and mix well. Sprinkle over the rest of the cheese.
Step 4: Bake the keto egg bake for 40 – 50 minutes until the middle is firm and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow the egg bake to cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Adding more veggies or protein
You can add in a ton of extra vegetables to this dish to make it even healthier or add more protein by including cooked meats. Here are some great vegetable and protein options to add to this dish:
- Bell peppers
- Cooked sausage
- Grilled bacon
- Crumbled tofu for a vegetarian option
- Fresh herbs
- Various cheeses work very well to enhance the taste of this egg bake.
Making it ahead of time
If you’re super busy and don’t have time to put this egg bake together in the morning, you can prepare it the day before or even make it ahead for the week.
If you want to eat the keto egg bake within 12 hours (perfect for the next morning) then assemble the egg bake but don’t bake it just yet. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Then you can pop it into the oven for 40 – 50 minutes the next morning and breakfast is served!
Storing and freezing
It’s also a breeze to prepare this egg bake ahead for the week and freeze it. It comes out perfectly done after being frozen and cooked.
To freeze your egg bake, prepare as usual but don’t bake it. Rather, cover with plastic wrap and freeze. When you want to make the egg bake, remove from the freezer and allow to thaw completely. Then bake as normal.
You can store any leftover egg bake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It can easily be heated in the microwave or oven for a quick breakfast and lunch option.
Other healthy keto recipes
If you liked this recipe, here are some other easy keto recipes you might enjoy:
You can also read this roundup I created of 10 low-carb breakfast ideas for diabetics for even more great keto breakfast recipe ideas.
When you’ve made this delicious keto egg bake, please don’t forget to let me know how you liked them and rate the recipe in the comments below!
Keto Egg Bake
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 8 oz spinach leaves
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half (or 1/2 cup cream and 1/2 cup milk)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 3 cups shredded medium-fat mozzarella cheese (divided)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F (190°C). Grease an 8×8 inch (20×20 cm) casserole dish and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a pan over medium heat. Once the oil has heated, add the onion, garlic, and spinach and cook for 5 minutes until the spinach has reduced. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, salt, and pepper. Stir in the shredded mozzarella and feta cheese. Leave aside some of the cheese to sprinkle on top.
- Add the cooked spinach and egg mixture to the casserole dish and mix well. Sprinkle over the rest of the cheese.
- Bake the keto egg bake for 40 – 50 minutes until the middle is firm and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow the egg bake to cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.