When I’m looking for a cool-down after a good workout, this creamy, icy, flavorful Vegan Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie hits the spot. Packed with fruit, veggies, and protein, it provides a nutrient boost that gets me feeling like I’m ready to take on my next mission. And, of course, it tastes AMAZING!
This recipe came about as I was craving that wonderful, classic combination of peanut butter and chocolate, but wanting a new and healthy twist on it. Adding the vanilla vegan protein powder broadens the flavor profile and definitely satisfies that sweet tooth while adding calcium, iron – and, yes – protein.
The right protein for your Vegan Protein Smoothie
Developed by Brendan Brazier, a vegan and former professional Ironman triathlete, Vega Protein & Greens Drink Mix is completely non-GMO, gluten-free, and plant-based, with no added sugar. The protein is sourced from a variety of plants including peas, hemp seed, and sprouted whole grain brown rice.
When to drink your Vegan Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie
I usually drink this as my post-workout shake, because it has all the protein and healthy carbs I need to rebuild muscle fibers and restore my energy reserves after a hard workout. However, there is absolutely no law stating that you cannot drink it while lying on a pool chair in the sun and working on your tan instead. Delicious and healthy, high protein smoothies like this are great for any occasion.
If you prefer to not use protein powder in your smoothies, you can also try my Pineapple Kale Smoothie with Greek yogurt.
When you’ve tried this vegan protein smoothie, please don’t forget to let me know how you liked it and rate the recipe in the comments below!
You can also sign up for my diabetes newsletter (and get a sign-up bonus) in the form below the recipe description. I send out a weekly newsletter with the latest posts and recipes from Diabetes Strong.
Vegan Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie
- 2 cups kale (4.7 oz.)
- 1 banana
- 2 tbsp. hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp. peanut butter
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 cups ice
- 1 cup almond or cashew milk
- 2 tbsp. cacao powder
- 1 scoop Vega vanilla protein powder
- Place the kale and banana in a blender (I use a NutriBullet), then add the hemp seeds and peanut butter. To avoid them sticking to the sides of the blender, aim the hemp seeds and peanut butter toward the center.
- Add the ice & liquids and blend briefly until ingredients are combined.
- Add powders, aiming for the center, and turn the blender up slowly so that the powders blend instead of flying everywhere. Once combined, blend at high speed until smooth.
- Pour into glasses and serve.