This is the perfect cabbage salad for any table! It’s super simple to prepare and is packed full of fresh flavor, all while being low-carb too!
Salads can sometimes be full of hidden carbs and sugars that instantly spike your blood sugar and leave you feeling less than optimal.
While store-bought salads may be convenient, there is nothing quite like making your own fresh salad at home. You know exactly what went in and how it will affect your blood sugar.
Try this simple cabbage salad recipe next time you need your salad fix! It’s ready in a few short minutes and is packed with fresh vegetables and punchy herbs.
How to make a cabbage salad
Making a delicious crunchy cabbage salad takes just minutes with this recipe. You can prepare the dressing ahead and refrigerate until needed to save some time.
Step 1: To get started, prepare the dressing by mixing together the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, garlic powder, and salt until smooth. Set aside.
Step 2: In a large salad bowl, add the cabbage, cucumbers, chosen greens, cilantro, fresh basil leaves. Drizzle the mayonnaise dressing over and then toss well to combine.
Step 3: Garnish with some black and white sesame seeds. You can store the salad for use in the next few hours or serve immediately.
Storage and meal prepping
You can store this cabbage salad in the refrigerator for up to 5 days in an airtight container. The flavors will continue to develop and the salad will only taste better.
You might be wondering how a salad could possibly survive in the refrigerator for 5 days and still be crisp and delicious. That’s the wonder of cabbage! The cabbage will stay crunchy, meaning this salad can be enjoyed for the next few days still tasting fresh.
Substitutions and variations
With it’s creamy, flavorful dressing, you can make this salad your own with some ingredients you may have in your refrigerator already.
Here are some other vegetables and herbs you can use in this salad for extra layers of flavor:
- julienned carrot
- sliced peppers
- sprouts, chickpea or bean sprouts add some protein too
If the cabbage itself isn’t crispy enough for you, add a tablespoon of these seeds for added crunch:
- pumpkin seeds
- sunflower seeds
More low-carb salad recipes to try
This is one of my favorite salad recipes to make! It is clear proof that salads are far from boring and can be tasty and good for you in equal measure.
Here are some of my other favorite salad recipes that you can try out!
If you like low-carb salad recipes, you can also check out my roundup of 10 delicious diabetic salad recipes for more inspiration.
When you’ve tried this purple cabbage salad, please don’t forget to let me know how you liked it and rate the recipe in the comments below!
Purple Cabbage Salad
For the dressing
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 Tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
For the salad:
- 4 cups purple and green cabbage (sliced)
- 1 cup cucumbers (thinly sliced)
- 2 cups greens (baby spinach or arugula)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 Tsp. black and white sesame seeds
- To get started, prepare the dressing by mixing together the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, garlic powder, and salt until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, add the cabbage, cucumbers, chosen greens, cilantro, fresh basil leaves. Drizzle the mayonnaise dressing over and then toss well to combine.
- Garnish with some black and white sesame seeds. You can store the salad for use in the next few hours or serve immediately.
Nutrition Info Per Serving