This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure.
Who doesn’t love a hearty chili? This delicious black bean chicken chili with bulgur is so flavorful and packed with fiber to keep you full and energized for hours.
Chili is a cold-weather staple in our household. The delicious flavors and hearty texture is just what you need to warm yourself up.
This black bean chicken chili with bulgur is a great example. Not only is it delicious, but it’s also a great source of fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals!
I decided to use bulgur to add texture and bulk to the chili. It’s similar to rice or couscous, but with a lower glycemic index. And it’s very simple to make.
If you’re looking for a new chili recipe that’s tasty, satisfying, AND good for you, give this one a try!
How to make black bean chicken chili with bulgur
Are you ready to see how this hearty and flavorful recipe comes together?
Step 1: Place the bulgur in a medium bowl and add boiling water. Set aside for at least 30 minutes.
Step 2: Drain the black beans in a colander or strainer and rinse well. Set aside.
Step 3: Heat the oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
Step 4: Once hot, add the chicken, onion, green pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is no longer pink.
Step 5: Add the tomatoes, salsa, chili powder, and cumin. Allow everything to cook for 30-45 minutes.
Step 6: Add the beans and cook for another 15 minutes.
Step 7: Just before serving, add the bulgur.
This chili is delicious as is, but you’re welcome to add any of your favorite toppings! Diced avocado, chopped green onion, or a little cheese would all be great options.
What is bulgur?
Bulgur is a whole grain that’s popular in the Middle East, especially in Turkey. It has a chewy texture similar to other grains and a pleasantly nutty taste.
I like to cook with it because it contains more fiber, vitamins, and minerals than rice or couscous, and it has a lower glycemic index. Sounds perfect for a diabetic!
Look for bulgur in your grocery store near the rice and beans.
Lowering the sodium
This recipe is higher in sodium due to the canned tomatoes, canned beans, and bottled salsa. If you’re watching your sodium intake, there are a few ways to lower it.
First, try replacing the canned tomatoes with a mix of fresh tomatoes, minced jalapeño, and a little chicken stock.
Next, swap out the canned black beans for dried beans that have been soaked overnight. Homemade beans will taste much better, too.
I make low-sodium no-soak beans in my instant pot and it’s super easy!
And finally, opt for homemade low-sodium salsa instead of store-bought so you can control the amount of salt.
Chili is a great way to meal prep for the week. It stores well and reheats even better!
You can store this bean and chicken chili covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Enjoy it as an easy and delicious lunch or dinner throughout the week!
Other healthy chili recipes
Can’t get enough of chili? Me neither! It’s perfect for feeding a crowd or meal prep for the week, and the different combinations of flavors never get old.
Here are a few of my favorite chili recipes I think you’ll enjoy:
You can also check out my list of the best low-sodium chicken recipes for more inspiration.
When you’ve tried this chili, please don’t forget to let me know how you liked it, and rate the recipe in the comments below!
Black Bean Chicken Chili with Bulgur
- 1 cup bulgur
- 2 cups boiling water
- 14 ounces black beans, (1 can)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 boneless chicken breasts, (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 cup onion, (chopped)
- 1 cup green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, (minced)
- 28 ounces canned tomatoes with green chilis
- ¾ cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Place the bulgur in a medium bowl and add boiling water. Set aside for at least 30 minutes.1 cup bulgur, 2 cups boiling water
- Drain the black beans in a colander or strainer and rinse well. Set aside.14 ounces black beans
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat.2 tablespoons canola oil
- Once hot, add the chicken, onion, green pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is no longer pink.3 boneless chicken breasts, 1 cup onion, 2 cloves garlic, 1 cup green pepper
- Add the tomatoes, salsa, chili powder, and cumin. Allow everything to cook for 30-45 minutes.28 ounces canned tomatoes with green chilis, ¾ cup salsa, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Add the beans and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Just before serving, add the bulgur.