In the mood for some cheesy comfort food that’s still healthy and low in carbs? You have to try this creamy, delicious, easy keto mac and cheese with cauliflower!
Who doesn’t love diving into their favorite comfort food? This keto mac and cheese is low-carb, gluten-free, and so easy to make for a delicious bowl you can feel good about devouring!
The secret is to use cauliflower instead of pasta. Tossed in a rich sauce and baked until melted and bubbly, this dish is a healthy way to indulge even your cheesiest cravings.
How to make keto mac and cheese
Making this recipe is as simple as steaming the cauliflower, melting together the sauce ingredients, mixing it all up, then popping the whole thing in the oven!
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Step 2: Add the cauliflower to a large pot and fill to 1 inch with water.
Step 3: Bring to a boil, cover, and allow to simmer until the cauliflower is tender but still firm, about 10-15 minutes.
Step 4: Drain the cauliflower and transfer to an 8×8 baking dish.
Step 5: Return the pot to the stovetop and set to medium heat. Add the heavy cream, cream cheese, butter, garlic powder, and pepper. Stir until smooth.
Step 6: Add in half the cheddar cheese and all the Romano cheese.
Step 7: Stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is thick.
Step 8: Pour the sauce over the cauliflower florets in the baking dish.
Step 9: Stir, mashing gently, until the cheese and cauliflower are mixed.
Step 10: Spread the remaining cheddar cheese on top.
Step 11: Bake for 25 minutes or until cheese is bubbly on top.
Step 12: Garnish with parsley if desired and serve warm.
Your rich and hearty cauliflower mac and cheese is ready to be devoured! I truly can’t think of a better way to enjoy a giant bowl of veggies.
Variations for this recipe
When it comes to comfort food, I like to keep things pretty simple. Just give me cheese, cheese, and more cheese, please!
But of course, there are SO many delicious ways to play with the flavors of your low-carb mac and cheese. Feel free to get as creative as you like.
We all know that bacon makes everything better, and this dish is no exception. When you mash together the cheese sauce and cooked cauliflower, you could sprinkle in some cooked and chopped bacon before baking.
Shredded chicken is another way to add some protein while keeping things on the lighter side. Or, if you really want a punch of flavor, some ground sausage or chorizo would be delicious.
Of course, you can always try different herbs on top of your mac and cheese. Parsley is a classic, but green onion, cilantro, or even fresh dill would be fun ways to try different flavors.
When it comes to comfort food, go ahead and make it YOUR way! After all, with a cheese sauce like this one, it’s pretty hard to go wrong.
Want to know one of my favorite parts about this dish? It makes GREAT leftovers!
Simply store any extra mac and cheese in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Once you’re ready to enjoy, I recommend reheating in the oven at 350°F until heated through. Leftovers should be eaten within 2-3 days.
Other healthy keto comfort food recipes
Looking for more hearty recipes that will fill you up without knocking you out of ketosis? With a few ingredient swaps, we can transform so many delicious comfort foods into totally keto-friendly dishes! Here are a few of my favorites I know you’ll love:
For even more delicious low-carb inspiration, be sure to check out this Ketogenic Meal Plan!
When you’ve made this dish, please don’t forget to let me know how you liked it and rate the recipe in the comments below!
Keto Mac and Cheese
- 1 large head of cauliflower (cut into florets)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
- 1 cup Romano cheese (grated)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Add the cauliflower to a large pot and fill to 1 inch with water.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and allow to simmer until the cauliflower is tender but still firm, about 10-15 minutes.
- Drain the cauliflower and transfer to an 8×8 baking dish.
- Return the pot to the stovetop and set to medium heat. Add the heavy cream, cream cheese, butter, garlic powder, and pepper. Stir until smooth.
- Add in half the cheddar cheese and all the Romano cheese.
- Stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is thick.
- Pour the sauce over the cauliflower florets in the baking dish.
- Stir, mashing gently, until the cheese and cauliflower is mixed.
- Spread the remaining cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly on top.
- Garnish with parsley if desired and serve warm.
chung cư an lạc green symphony says
It’s delicious, I’ll definitely try it this weekend