Enjoy Mexican night in style with these low-carb chicken tacos! Spiced grilled chicken breasts and creamy, zesty slaw come together in less than 30 minutes.
Who doesn’t love Taco Tuesday? Mexican-inspired dishes are bursting with flavor and can be customized for so many different ways of eating.
These low-sodium chicken tacos are a perfect example! You can even use low-carb tortillas or lettuce wraps for a keto-friendly meal that’s sure to satisfy.
Best of all, these tacos can be ready in less than half an hour. They’re so easy to make! Just season and cook the chicken breasts, mix together the slaw, then assemble your perfect taco. How great is that?
This is a great summertime dish when you’re in the mood to grill out. And the slaw is so cool and refreshing on top of the chicken! Although with flavors this delicious, you may find yourself whipping up this meal all year round.
How to make low-carb chicken tacos
This simple recipe comes together in just five steps. Let’s see how it’s done!
Step 1: Heat a large grill pan over medium heat. While the pan is heating up, coat the chicken breasts in olive oil and taco seasoning.
Step 2: Grill the chicken breasts until cooked through.
Step 3: While the chicken is grilling, mix together the coleslaw mix, sour cream, apple cider vinegar, fresh dill, and black pepper. Mix until everything is well-coated, then chill in the refrigerator until the chicken is done.
Step 4: Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pan and allow it to rest for 5 minutes, then use two forks to shred it into rough chunks.
Step 5: Assemble your tacos by adding chicken and desired toppings to tortillas or lettuce leaves. Squeeze lime juice over tacos and serve.
Feel free to add any of your other favorite toppings as well! Sliced avocado, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, or cilantro are just a few of my favorites.
Choosing your tortillas
The nutritional information for this recipe includes standard low-carb tortillas, which is where most of the sodium comes from. Whenever possible, I recommend buying low-sodium, low-carb tortillas, which will lower the sodium per serving even further.
Want to have complete control over your ingredients? Just whip up a batch of your own homemade keto tortillas! You can even omit the added salt if you prefer.
Of course, you can always keep it simple by swapping out tortillas for crunchy lettuce wraps. A good, sturdy lettuce that doesn’t have a strong flavor like iceberg or butter lettuce will be your best bet.
You may find yourself with leftover chicken or slaw. These make great leftovers to enjoy later in the week!
You can store any extras in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator for two days. When you’re ready to eat, reheat the chicken in the oven, top with the slaw straight from the fridge, and enjoy.
Other delicious low-sodium recipes
Reducing your salt intake doesn’t mean you have to settle for bland, boring dishes! There are so many ways to cut back on sodium and still indulge in big, bold flavors that will make your taste buds sing.
Here are a few of my favorite low-sodium recipes I know you’ll love:
You can also take a look at my roundup of low-sodium chicken recipes for even more recipe inspiration.
When you’ve tried these tacos please don’t forget to let me know how you liked them and rate the recipe in the comments below!
Low-Carb Chicken Tacos (Low Sodium)
- 2 large chicken breasts (roughly 12 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (low-sodium or no-salt-added)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups coleslaw mixture (shredded cabbage and carrot)
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 low-carb tortillas (or large lettuce wraps)
- 6 lime wedges
- ½ cup fresh cilantro (for serving)
- 1 avocado (sliced — for serving)
- Heat a large grill pan over medium heat. While the pan is heating up, coat the chick-en breasts in the olive oil and taco seasoning.2 large chicken breasts, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Grill the chicken breasts until cooked through.
- While the chicken is grilling, mix together the coleslaw mix, sour cream, apple cider vinegar, fresh dill, and black pepper. Mix until everything is well-coated, then chill in the refrigerator until the chicken is done.2 cups coleslaw mixture, ¼ cup sour cream, 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon fresh dill, 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the pan and allow it to rest for 5 minutes, then use two forks to shred into rough chunks.
- Assemble your tacos by adding chicken and desired toppings to tortillas or lettuce leaves. Squeeze lime juice over tacos and serve.6 low-carb tortillas, 6 lime wedges, ½ cup fresh cilantro, 1 avocado