Craving a hearty pasta dish without all the carbs? This easy low-carb lasagna with ground beef and zucchini is comfort food at its finest!
Pasta is pretty synonymous with “comfort food.” But you know what isn’t so comforting? The way you feel after eating all those empty carbs.
So if you’re craving something hearty and cozy, you have to try this low-carb lasagna instead. A hearty ground beef sauce, sliced zucchini in place of pasta, and plenty of melted cheese make this dish so delicious and satisfying!
How to make low-carb lasagna
This easy recipe is a breeze to prep. Just follow these simple steps for hearty, cheesy goodness!
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with foil.
Step 2: Place the sliced zucchini on the baking sheet and toss with oil.
Step 3: Bake the zucchini for 10 minutes or until softened and some moisture has been released.
Step 4: Meanwhile, add the beef to a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, parsley, and salt.
Step 5: Stir, breaking the beef into smaller pieces in the pan, and cook until browned.
Step 6: Drain the excess fat from the beef, then add the tomato sauce to the skillet and stir.
Step 7: In an 8×8 baking dish, start by adding a small layer of ground beef mixture to the bottom. Next, layer on the zucchini slices.
Step 8: Add more ground beef mixture, then mozzarella cheese.
Step 9: Repeat for a total of 3 layers, then top with Parmesan cheese.
Step 10: Bake, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until the cheese is brown and bubbly.
That’s it! You can add some fresh basil or parsley on top if desired, then dig in and enjoy.
What to serve with this dish
Because this lasagna is nice and hearty, I like serving it with light and simple sides. Something like this lemony romaine and avocado salad would be a great option.
Have extra zucchini you don’t want to go to waste? Whip up these easy roasted zucchini fries with Parmesan! For even more flavor, try my Mediterranean zucchini noodles with goat cheese.
It’s up to you how complex you want to get with your sides. Personally, next to a big slice of lasagna, some mixed greens are usually all I need.
This dish keeps very well in both the refrigerator and the freezer, which makes it a great option for meal-prepping!
You can store any extra slices in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat, simply bake the lasagna at 350°F until heated through again. It’s perfect for a quick and delicious meal on busy weeknights!
Other low-carb dinner recipes
Eating low-carb meals is a great way to regulate blood sugar levels. Thankfully, that doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice taste!
Here are a few of my favorite low-carb recipes I know you’ll enjoy:
Looking for more tasty meal inspiration? Check out this round-up of my favorite low-carb ground beef recipes for diabetics!
When you’ve tried this dish, please don’t forget to let me know how you liked it and rate the recipe in the comments below!
- 2 medium zucchini (thinly sliced lengthwise)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1½ cups mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- fresh herbs for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with foil.
- Place the sliced zucchini on the baking sheet and toss with oil.2 medium zucchini, 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Bake the zucchini for 10 minutes or until softened and some moisture has been released.
- Meanwhile, add the beef to a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, parsley, and salt.1½ pounds ground beef, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon parsley, ½ teaspoon salt
- Stir, breaking the beef into smaller pieces in the pan, and cook until browned.
- Drain the excess fat from the beef, then add the tomato sauce to the skillet and stir.2 cups tomato sauce
- In an 8×8 baking dish, start by adding a small layer of ground beef mixture to the bottom. Next, layer on the zucchini slices.
- Add more ground beef mixture, then mozzarella cheese.1½ cups mozzarella cheese
- Repeat for a total of 3 layers, then top with Parmesan cheese.½ cup grated Parmesan
- Bake, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until the cheese is brown and bubbly.fresh herbs for garnish
Leave a Reply