This lemony romaine and avocado salad is packed with flavor! It’s perfect when you need a quick side, or add a serving of protein to make it a full meal.
When you need a quick side that can stand up to a bold main course, give this lemony romaine and avocado salad a try!
You won’t believe how such a simple, vegan salad can have so much flavor. The bright vinaigrette combined with the mildly tart pomegranate seeds and the richness of the pine nuts and avocado is such a wonderful combination.
This salad is a great side, but you could also add a protein like chicken or salmon to turn it into a full meal.
To keep it vegan, try adding vegetables like broccoli or cauliflower or even some tofu crumbles. You could also increase the amount of avocado instead.
How to make lemony romaine and avocado salad
This simple salad is easy to throw together in just a few minutes.
Step 1: In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper. Gradually whisk in olive oil, then set the vinaigrette aside.
Step 2: Wash, dry, and then tear or slice the romaine into bite-sized pieces.
Step 3: Place the leaves in a large bowl and toss with the pomegranate seeds, pine nuts, and half of the vinaigrette.
Step 4: Cut the avocado into long, thin slices.
Step 5: Layer the avocado slices on top of the lettuce in the bowl, then drizzle your desired amount of the remaining dressing over them.
Step 6: Carefully toss the salad using your hands or a large metal spoon. Add the remaining dressing if desired, then finish with a few sprinkles of pepper.
Your delicious salad is ready to enjoy!
I love that this recipe is extremely flexible, as all side salads should be.
For example, I eliminate the pomegranate seeds when I can’t find them outside of the late fall and winter months. You could replace them with a handful of blueberries or chopped raspberries.
To add a touch of smoky flavor, I like to toast my pine nuts in a dry nonstick pan. It only takes a couple of minutes and adds such a wonderful element. If you don’t have pine nuts, chopped walnuts or pecans would be a good substitute.
You can also mix up the lettuce. Sometimes, I use Bibb lettuce mixed with the romaine. It all depends on what I have on hand!
Other times, I turn it into a main salad by adding cauliflower or broccoli florets. Sometimes, I like to use slices of beets and a dollop of goat cheese for an even richer salad.
Any way you make it, this is a great little dish to throw together any time!
If you want to prep this recipe ahead of time, I recommend washing and slicing the lettuce, then tossing it with the pomegranate seeds and pine nuts.
You can make the vinaigrette, but don’t add it to the lettuce. Otherwise, the salad will get soggy in the refrigerator.
Store the lettuce mix and the vinaigrette covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Once you’re ready to serve, toss the salad with the vinaigrette and add the avocado slices.
If you do have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Just be aware that the lettuce may become a bit soggy and any extra avocado will likely oxidize.
Other delicious salad recipes
Anyone who thinks salads are boring isn’t eating the right kind of salads! If you’re looking for some easy salad recipes that are packed with flavor, here are some of my favorites that I know you’ll love:
- Pearl Couscous Salad with Beans
- Blackberry Ginger Beet Salad with Pecans
- Watermelon Salad with Goat Cheese
When you’ve tried this dish, please don’t forget to let me know how you liked it and rate the recipe in the comments below!
Lemony Romaine and Avocado Salad
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 2 avocados
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper. Gradually whisk in olive oil, then set the vinaigrette aside.2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, ¼ cup olive oil
- Wash, dry, and then tear or slice the romaine into bite-sized pieces.1 head romaine lettuce
- Place the leaves in a large bowl and toss with the pomegranate seeds, pine nuts, and half of the vinaigrette.½ cup pomegranate seeds, ¼ cup pine nuts
- Cut the avocado into long, thin slices.2 avocados
- Layer the avocado slices on top of the lettuce in the bowl, then drizzle your desired amount of the remaining dressing over them.
- Carefully toss the salad using your hands or a large metal spoon. Add the remaining dressing if desired, then finish with a few sprinkles of pepper.freshly ground black pepper