I LOVE ice cream and frozen yogurt! Frozen yogurt is just the perfect snack to cool down when it’s hot here in sunny California. That’s why I developed this healthy and yummy high-protein, low-carb Chocolate Greek Yogurt Ice Cream.
Before I came up with this recipe, I must have tried every brand of low-carb ice cream on the market, but none of them really tasted like ice cream to me. They definitely don’t satisfy my ice cream cravings like this Greek yogurt ice cream recipe does.
How to make low-carb Greek Yogurt Ice Cream
The trick to making tasty high-protein Greek yogurt ice cream without adding sugar is using protein powder to give both flavor and sweetness. I tried using chocolate flavored protein powder at first but quickly found out that you get a better chocolate flavor with vanilla protein powder and cocoa powder.
The protein powder I use is Met-Rx Vanilla. It’s great for both ice creams and baking because it has a very natural sweet vanilla flavor. When you combine it with cocoa powder, it (almost) tastes like real chocolate.
No ice cream machine, no problem!
I don’t have an ice cream machine so I just use my freezer. It’s very simple, but it does require you to be home for the first two hours to stir the ice cream periodically to break up the ice crystals and give the ice cream a smooth consistency. After that, you can leave it in the freezer for a few days before eating it.
I tend to make quite a large batch, so I have enough for a few days. The challenge is not to go crazy and eat it all at once because it’s so delicious 😀
More healthy snacks
If you liked this Low carb Chocolate Greek Yogurt Ice Cream recipe, you will probably love my Strawberry Lemonade Popsicles as well. They are also made without sugar and are a perfect healthy snack for a hot day. You can also try my Peanut Butter Protein Balls for an easy ketogenic snack.
Finally, check out this roundup of my favorite low-carb desserts. I try to always keep it updated with new recipes so it’s a great resource to bookmark!
When you’ve tried this low carb Chocolate Greek Yogurt Ice Cream, please don’t forget to let me know how you liked it and rate the recipe in the comments below!
Low Carb Chocolate Greek Yogurt Ice Cream
- Blend yogurt, protein powder, cocoa, stevia and almond milk thoroughly. If you don’t have a blender, this can be done by hand but requires a little work with a whisk.
- Place in freezer or ice cream machine.
- If you don’t have an ice cream machine (which we don’t), take the ice cream out after an hour and turn it over gently with a spoon to avoid it becoming one big ice block. Do this again every 30 min. until it has the right consistency (it should take about 2 hours total).
- You can either eat it right away (after the 2 hours) or leave it in the freezer for up to a week. If you leave it in the freezer, take it out 5-10 min before you serve it to let it soften up a bit.
- Serve with almonds and fresh berries.