Is there anything better than an ice-cold protein shake after a hard and hot workout? I don’t think so, especially not if it’s this delicious iced Low-Carb Chocolate Coffee Protein Shake.
It only takes a minute to make from ingredients I always have in the kitchen and it has as much high-quality protein as any shake or smoothie you could buy.
A protein shake without protein powder
I love getting my protein from natural sources rather than protein powder when possible. I do use protein powder for the shakes I drink at the gym (and I love baking with it), but nothing beats a freshly made shake of egg whites, coffee, and cocoa powder!
The whipped egg whites have a consistency like silky whipped cream and the finished shake tastes like a mix between a coffee protein shake and a decadent chocolate dessert 😀
The perfect pre-workout shake
I will often have a Chocolate Coffee Protein Shake just before my workout. The caffeine is a great energy boost and the protein is just what my muscles need to grow and recover during and after a hard workout.
On days when I am not working out, it’s also a great alternative to a normal iced coffee, especially on a hot day.
Choose your favorite healthy shake
I have a homemade protein shake for every occasion. While this Chocolate Coffee Protein Shake is my favorite low-carb shake, I often go for a shake with more carbs instead to refill my glucagon reserves after a resistance workout.
Here are three delicious options for your workout shake (or just a quick snack) in order of how many carbs they have:
- Strawberry Banana Protein Smoothie
- High-Protein Raspberry & Banana Mousse
- Vegan Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie
For an even more comprehensive list of low-carb shakes and smoothies, check out this roundup of the best low-carb smoothies for diabetics.
When you’ve tried this Chocolate Coffee Protein Shake, please don’t forget to let me know how you liked it and rate the recipe in the comments below!
Chocolate Coffee Protein Shake
- 4 egg whites (186 g) – use pasteurized liquid egg whites
- ½ tsp. instant coffee
- 2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp. Stevia
- 4 large ice cubes
- Blend 2 egg whites, ½ tbsp. stevia, coffee, cocoa, and 4 ice cubes until it has the consistency of slush ice.
- In a separate glass, blend the remaining egg whites and ½ tbsp. stevia until they are stiff and fluffy.
- Pour the slush ice blend into a high glass and top off with the whipped egg whites.
- Sprinkle a little cocoa powder on top.