If you need a simple appetizer or tasty snack, this pesto chicken salad with grapes is perfect! Enjoy as a dip, or serve in phyllo cups for an elegant dish.
I think chicken salads can get a bad reputation for being too heavy. Some recipes just use way too much mayonnaise!
But this pesto chicken salad with grapes is made without mayonnaise, so it’s a perfect low-fat solution! And it packs in a ton of delicious flavor. The grapes lend sweetness, the basil adds a punch, and the red pepper flakes give the salad a nice kick.
It’s also incredibly easy to throw together with simple ingredients. It’s a light dish that’s full of vibrant flavor, plus it’s a good source of protein and vitamins.
If you need a quick snack or appetizer and want something that’s delicious without being too heavy, give this recipe a try!
How to make pesto chicken salad with grapes
I love that this chicken salad recipe comes together in just five easy steps!
Step 1: With your food processor running, add the peeled garlic.
Step 2: Once the garlic is minced, add the fresh basil, plain yogurt, white wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, sugar, and red pepper flakes.
Step 3: Continue to blend until all of the ingredients are well combined and the dressing is creamy.
Step 4: In a large bowl, add the shredded chicken breast, shredded carrots, grape halves, and chopped scallions. Gently toss to combine.
Step 5: Add the dressing and toss again.
The salad is best enjoyed at room temperature, so I recommend serving right away!
Serving in phyllo cups
Want to elevate this dip to a simple but elegant appetizer? Try serving your chicken salad in phyllo cups!
They make adorable finger food, plus the dough adds some nice texture. If you decide to use these little cups, I do recommend dicing the grapes and chicken into smaller pieces. They’ll be much easier to eat that way!
Because this salad is best served at room temperature, I recommend making it right before you plan to serve it.
But to make prep a little easier, you can make the dressing ahead of time! Simply store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
Other tasty appetizer recipes
I love finding new appetizer and snack recipes. They’re great to share with friends and family, or to enjoy all to yourself!
If you’re looking for more delicious options, here are a few of my favorites that I know you’ll love:
When you’ve tried this chicken salad, please don’t forget to let me know how you liked it and rate the recipe in the comments below!
Pesto Chicken Salad with Grapes
- 12 ounces chicken breast (cooked and shredded)
- 1 cup carrots (coarsely shredded)
- 1 cup seedless red grapes (halved lengthwise)
- 2 scallions (coarsely chopped)
- With your food processor running, add the peeled garlic.3 cloves garlic
- Once the garlic is minced, add the fresh basil, plain yogurt, white wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, sugar, and red pepper flakes.1 cup fresh basil leaves, ½ cup nonfat plain yogurt, 2 tablespoon white wine vinegar, 2 tablespoon olive oil, ½ teaspoon pepper, ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon sugar, Dash of red pepper flakes
- Continue to blend until all of the ingredients are well-combined and the dressing is creamy.
- In a large bowl, add the shredded chicken breast, shredded carrots, grape halves, and chopped scallions. Gently toss to combine.12 ounces chicken breast, 1 cup carrots, 1 cup seedless red grapes, 2 scallions
- Add the dressing and toss again.