Chicken nuggets. My order of choice that one time or so every year when I actually eat at McDonald’s. It’s usually because we are on a road trip, and there is nothing better to eat for miles around, but I have to admit that I do enjoy eating a huge order of chicken nuggets on those occasions 😀
Ever since my high-school days, I have experimented with different ways to make healthy chicken nuggets myself. By now, I have a couple of good recipes, and I want to share my favorite with you today. It’s a spicy version, with plenty of chili powder, paprika, and pepper.
To keep the chicken nuggets healthy, I make the breading out of high-protein, low-carb bread that I put in the blender until it’s reduced to crumbs. I use low-fat sour cream to stick the crumbs to the chicken. Finally, the nuggets are fried in a little bit of coconut oil.
Since I am using sour cream anyway, I often make a dipping sauce by just mixing lots of paprika, curry powder, and pepper into a little sour cream. The fresh dressing provides a great balance to the spicy chicken nuggets.
Healthy and easy chicken nuggets! This is the fitness version of the classic chicken nugget (or breaded chicken) using high-protein, low-carb breading and light sour cream.
- 1 Chicken breast
- ½ Ezekiel muffin
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. low-fat sour cream
- ½ tbsp. Chili
- ½ tbsp. Paprika
- ½ tbsp. Pepper
- Clean the chicken breast and cut it into nugget-sized pieces
- Blend the muffin in the blender until it’s reduced to crumbs
- Mix the sour cream with the spices (use A LOT of spices. The final dish will taste less spicy than you expect)
- Dip the chicken pieces in the sour cream until they are fully coated. Then toss them in the breadcrumbs
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan on medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the coated chicken nuggets and let them cook for about 4 min on each side. Open one with a knife to test if they are done
- Transfer the nuggets to a paper towel and let them dry for a minute before serving