Chocolate Keto Fat Bombs are an easy no-bake sweet treat perfect for the keto diet! They’re packed with five sources of healthy fats and contain only 2 grams of net carbs per serving.
Why you should make this recipe
Is there anything better than a chocolate treat that tastes amazing and fully complies with your diet?
You’ll be happy to know there are plenty of ways to satisfy your chocolate cravings on the keto diet without eating a high-carb, high-sugar dessert that kicks you out of ketosis.
One of those ways is by making a batch of these yummy Chocolate Keto Fat Bombs. These treats are seriously delicious and will stop a chocolate craving dead in its tracks!
What are keto fat bombs?
If you’re wondering why they’re called “keto fat bombs,” it’s because they deliver a “bomb” of healthy fats to keep you both fully compliant with the keto diet and satisfied until your next meal. They are convenient high-fat, low-carb, low-protein snacks that you can bring anywhere.
A serving of chocolate fat bombs contains 17 grams of fat and only 2 grams of net carbs.
This easy dessert comes together with only 7 common ingredients. They have five different sources of fat and flavor enhancers like chocolate and vanilla.
- Crunchy peanut butter: also may be referred to as chunky peanut butter but creamy peanut butter will work too
- Unshelled hemp seeds: adds another source of fat
- Unrefined coconut oil: use room temperature coconut oil
- Heavy cream: another source of healthy fat and helps to create a smooth texture
- Cacao powder: this will deliver that intense chocolate flavor; unsweetened cocoa powder works too
- Vanilla extract: to enhance the flavor
- Stevia in the raw: used to sweeten the fat bombs; a low-carb sugar substitute like monk fruit sweetener may work but with a few modifications (see tips)
- Shredded coconut flakes: this is optional but it’s fun to coat the balls in shredded coconut
It’s incredibly easy! All you need is a bowl, a tray with parchment paper, and your freezer or fridge.
You can see how I make the fat bombs in this short video or read the step-by-step instructions below:
Step 1: In a large bowl, mix peanut butter, cacao powder, and hemp seeds.
Step 2: Add coconut oil and mix until it becomes a paste. Then add cream, vanilla, and stevia and mix until it becomes a paste again.
Step 3: Use your hands to roll the paste into 12 balls.
Tip: if the paste is too thin to roll (like in the image above), put it in the fridge for 30 minutes before rolling to give it the right consistency (like in the image below).
Step 4: Roll the balls in shredded coconut (the coconut is included in the nutrition facts, but it’s optional if you are not a fan). Place the balls on parchment paper on a baking tray.
Step 5: Freeze for 10 minutes before serving. You can also just put them in the fridge for at least 30 minutes instead.
Making healthy keto bombs is not hard or complicated. But consider these helpful tips for the easiest bomb recipe:
- If the paste is too thin to roll, pop the bomb mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes and then try rolling them.
- For best results, use a freshly opened jar of natural peanut butter. The fresher the peanut butter, the easier it is to stir it with other ingredients.
- If using monk fruit sweetener, I recommend using the powdered form of monk fruit to avoid a grainy texture. Also, it may help to dissolve the sugar in the heavy cream first.
- You can also do the same for stevia in the raw and dissolve it in heavy cream.
One of the best things about fat bombs is the flexibility of the ingredients. They are so versatile and allow you to use whatever you have on hand. Check out these variations:
- Try using a different nut butter. Almond butter or cashew butter are great options.
- The recipe calls for coating the fat bombs in shredded coconut. But try using other coating options like additional cacao powder for a keto truffles spin. Or finely chopped nuts like pecans or macadamia nuts. Or unsweetened cacao nibs for double chocolate fat bombs.
Please note the nutritional value will change any time you substitute ingredients. It’s always a good idea to use a nutrition app to reflect your changes.
This recipe makes 12 individual chocolate keto fat bombs. They are delightful as a dessert. But you can also enjoy them as a snack between meals or before a workout. The satiating fat and low carb count also make it wonderful for breakfast (no judgment here!).
Because this fat bomb recipe contains heavy cream and isn’t cooked, you’ll need to store the fat bombs in the fridge or freezer. Once you taste their chilled awesome flavor, I don’t think you’ll mind!
Store leftover fat bombs in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator or several weeks in the freezer.
This low-carb sweet treat is naturally gluten-free and rich in healthy fats. Each serving contains 3 grams of carbs and 1 gram of fiber, leaving you with 2 grams of net carbs per serving. Furthermore, it has 17 grams of fat, making it a wonderful keto chocolate treat.
Frequently asked questions
Cacao powder is less refined than cocoa powder. Cocoa powder is made from dried and roasted cocoa beans, whereas cacao powder is made at very low temperatures. It is believed that cacao powder has more antioxidants than cocoa powder because it’s processed at lower temperatures.
Fat bombs are an excellent healthy snack between meals but also make a healthy dessert. Even though they are higher in fat, they are sugar-free and low in carbs. Therefore, they keep you satiated for longer and may help keep blood sugar levels stable. This is especially a benefit for people with diabetes.
Fat bombs are great as a snack between meals or a dessert after a meal. Generally, one to three fat bombs per day are sufficient for people on a keto diet.
More healthy ketogenic snacks
If you want a more savory fat bomb recipe, try the Pimento Cream Cheese Fat Bombs. Those little cheese balls are nutty, cheesy, and addictive!
If you are more in the mood for a really decadent sweet keto snack, take a look at this Keto Peanut Butter Fat Bomb with Chocolate Ganache recipe. It’s mouthwatering good!
You can also check out this roundup of my 10 favorite keto fat bomb recipes!
When you’ve tried the Chocolate Keto Fat Bombs, please don’t forget to let me know how you liked them and rate the recipe in the comments below!
Chocolate Keto Fat Bombs
- In a large bowl, mix peanut butter, cacao powder, and hemp seeds.5 tablespoons chunky peanut butter, ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 6 tablespoons hemp seeds
- Add room-temperature coconut oil and mix until it becomes a paste.½ cup unrefined coconut oil
- Then add heavy cream, vanilla, and stevia and mix until it becomes a paste again.2 tablespoons heavy cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 tablespoon Stevia in the raw
- Roll into balls. You should be able to make about 12 balls total.
- Coat the balls with shredded coconut.2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- Place balls on parchment paper on a baking tray.
- Freeze for 10 minutes or put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.