This is hands-down my favorite recipe for turkey patties! I even prefer these to beef patties, which says a lot, coming from a burger lover like me.
The avocado adds moisture and flavor to the turkey patties, making them super juicy, and the spaghetti squash is a perfect low-carb substitute for a burger bun.
You can, of course, replace the spaghetti squash with real pasta, brown rice or sweet potato if you want more carbs in your diet (Tobias often likes to do this), or you can go all out and throw the patties in a bun with a bunch of veggies to make a real burger.
How to cook your turkey patties
You really don’t need to do a lot to make these turkey patties taste great. I usually just add a little garlic, salt, and pepper and leave it at that. The ground turkey and avocado have plenty of flavor by themselves.
Of course, nobody is stopping you from adding a little ginger, thyme, sage, or whatever herbs you might fancy — they’ll taste good no matter what flavor combo you choose.
The only thing you should be aware of is that the uncooked turkey patty mix is a lot less firm than you would normally expect from burger patties. This is because I don’t use breadcrumbs or anything else to bind the mixture together. But don’t worry, the patties will stick together just fine if you fry them carefully.
Cooking the spaghetti squash
I LOVE spaghetti squash. It’s super easy to cook and you can eat it with almost anything.
The easiest way to cook spaghetti squash is to cut the squash in two, scoop out the seeds, place it cut side down it in a microwave safe bowl with some water, and microwave it for 12 minutes. Alternatively, you can bake it in the oven for 40 minutes (after cutting it in half and scooping out the seeds).
Scoop out the cooked squash and sauté it in a pan with fresh tomato, garlic, and some herbs, and you have yourself a delicious side for your turkey patties. I typically use dry basil to flavor the spaghetti squash, but if you can get fresh basil or other fresh herbs, it will taste even better.
These turkey patties are super juicy because the avocado adds moisture, and the spaghetti squash is a perfect low carb substitute for a burger bun.
- 8 oz. (225 g) ground turkey, 99% lean
- ½ avocado
- 1 egg
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt & pepper
- 2 cups (7 oz. / 200 g) raw spaghetti squash
- ½ tomato
- 1 oz. (28 g) red onion
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- Salt & pepper
- Basil (fresh or dry)
1. Cook the spaghetti squash. The easiest way is to cut the squash in two, scoop out the seeds and place it cut side down in a microwave safe bowl with some water and microwave it for 12 minutes. Alternatively, you can bake it in the oven for 40 minutes (after cutting it in half and scooping out the seeds).
2. While the squash is cooling, mix turkey, egg, chopped garlic, salt, and pepper in a bowl. When well combined, chop the avocado into small cubes and fold into the turkey mix.
3. Cook the turkey patties in a pan on medium heat for about 3 min on each side.
4. While the patties are cooking, scrape out the spaghetti squash with a fork and place on a plate. Be careful not to burn your fingers.
Chop, onions, garlic and tomato.
6. When the turkey patties are done, take them off the heat and place on a plate. Put the pan back on the stove. Add a little cooking spray if needed before sautéing the onions and garlic. After a minute, add the chopped tomato to the pan, mix and then add the spaghetti squash. Add spices and turn it all over a few times before plating.
7. Place the turkey patties on top of the spaghetti squash and enjoy!